Thursday, February 10, 2011

Industry artist fail: Hyung Tae Kim (so VERY VERY nsfw!)

While looking for another entrant in my fanartist hall of shame, I happened to stumble across an artist whose work I had not been familiar with - Hyung Tae Kim. I initially found him when I stumbled across this image:



/sigh. Distorted anatomy? Check. I mean, even more so than usual. Improbably large breasts that defy physics? Check. Lovingly detailed ladybits? Cheeeeeck. This guy is a charmer all right.

When I did more research I discovered that HTK is actually a pretty influential artist in the Asian gaming industry. He's worked as lead character design on a huge number of roleplaying games, including the War of Genesis series (3 games), the Magna Carta series (2 games), and Blade and Soul online. And while normally, I wouldn't tackle an artist like HTK because of the fact that he does work primarily in the Asian games industry, the fact remains that he does have a HUGE following here in North America and does occasionally work over here. That blue crotch-floss with butterflies? The cover for an Exalted sourcebook. So I figure that makes him fair game.

Amusingly, one of the first articles that I found about HTK that tipped me off to what a following he had over here was this one. The headline image shows a totally cleavagey chick, but don't worry folks. She's just an exception!


WTF is up with her boobs, man?

If this is an exception, why go to the effort of picking out this one? Methinks thou doth protest too much, sir... Anyhow. Mr. Mahan is mostly correct in that yes, a lot of HTK's women don't display actual cleavage. No, instead they have impossibly large, impossibly pointy breasts that flop around like distended lemons. I mean, seriously. Look at these things:



LEMON BOOBS AHOY!

I never thought I'd have to invent a new category of boob mockery, but here it is. LEMON BOOBS. Methinks this guy can't be getting a whole lot of action because holy shit in what universe do women have breasts that are this large and this pointy? Those gazongas are practically WMD! Also, contrary to popular belief, jiggle physics does not exist in real life just because it's called "physics". I know that there has never been a situation in which I've had to dodge being hit in the face with my own breasts, so ease off with the anti-grav field!

Another pretty common feature of HTK's artwork is the OUTTHRUST LADYBITS. (Yes, capitals required). If you look at his art, a lot of the women seem to be thrusting their ladybits pretty much right at the camera:


NOOOOO! THE LADYBITS!

So, I'm guessing he would feel quite a bit of affinity with the WoW artist who did that infamous ladybit assassin picture I mocked a while ago... Another pose that's way too freaking common is the "please do me from behind" school of posing:


Come on. It doesn't get less subtle than this!

So, yeah. This guy clearly not winning a lot of awards for class. I realize that Asian culture is a lot more misogynistic in some regards, but the fact that there are plenty of North American dudes panting to get their hands on scans of this guys art books is just discouraging. This takes the garden-variety misogynistic character design we get over here and make it seem tame in comparison!

The thing that makes me really want to punch HTK in the nuts is his fetish for lovingly detailed ladybits:




Seriously? Talim is totally underage! That's just gross.

The thing that makes me most sad is that Blade and Soul seems to have adhered to HTK's designs pretty slavishly in the rendering of their character models. I mean check this out! We have actual modeled camel toe:



Yuck.